Evidence for the effectiveness of PDMPs in countering the prescription drug abuse epidemic comes from a variety of sources, among them evaluations, surveys, research studies, analyses of PDMP data and operations, and reports on innovative applications of PDMPs. Linked below are documents demonstrating how PDMP data are now being used in a wide range of applications by those on the front lines in the fight against prescription drug abuse. Please contact us about evidence for PDMP effectiveness that comes to your attention.
- Briefing on PDMP Effectiveness. A COE overview of recent findings on the multiple applications and benefits of PDMPs in medical practice, drug control and drug treatment, updated on September 2014 with over 60 references.
- Nevada’s Proactive PMP: The Impact of Unsolicited Reports (COE Notes from the Field).
- Trends in Wyoming PMP Prescription History Reporting: Evidence for a Decrease in Doctor Shopping (COE Notes from the Field).
- Staying Clear of the Law and Addiction: Nevada’s Pre-Criminal Intervention Program (COE Notes from the Field).
- Keeping Patients Safe: Using PMP Data in Outpatient Addictions Treatment (COE Notes from the Field).
- K. Blumenschein et al., Independent evaluation of the impact and effectiveness of the Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting Program (KASPER), 2010
- D. Baehren et al., A statewide prescription monitoring program affects emergency department prescribing behaviors, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2009
- Alliance of States with Prescription Monitoring Programs, An Assessment of State Prescription Monitoring Program Effectiveness and Results, Version 1, 11.30.07
- Carnevale Associates Information Brief: State Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs Highly Effective
- L.M. Reifler et al., Reduction over time in RADARS system poison center opioid misuse/abuse rates associated with prescription monitoring programs, American Public Health Association poster session 218163 RADARS® System; November, 2010
- GAO Report GAO-02-634: Prescription drugs. State monitoring programs provide useful tool to reduce diversion, 2002
- Text of remarks regarding Kentucky All Schedule Electronic Reporting (KASPER) System, from video made in Kentucky, August 2005
- Fifth National PMP Meeting Presentation: Performance indicators for prescription drug monitoring programs: doctor shopping, September 24, 2009 (PDF file - 5.5 MB.)
For further evidence of PDMP effectiveness, see the evaluations listed on the Evaluations page.