PDMP Best Practices
Evidence is accumulating that prescription monitoring programs (PDMPs) are effective in promoting safe prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances and in reducing their diversion and misuse; see the COE briefing on PMP effectiveness. However, PDMPs can become more effective by adopting recognized best practices in collecting, analyzing and reporting prescription information. This page links to COE documents and other resources on PDMP best and promising practices.
COE White Paper on PDMP Best Practices
The COE has produced a major report on PDMP best practices. Three accompanying press releases:
- Press Release by Operation Unite announcing publication of Brandeis Report on Best Practices.
- Press Release by Pew Charitable Trusts announcing publication of Brandeis Report on Best Practices.
- Press Release by the American Insurance Association announcing publication of Brandeis Report on Best Practices.
Current Status of PDMP Best Practices
The COE is producing individual web pages for each best practice, with information on current adoption and links to relevant documents and presentations. Now available:
PDMP Best Practice Policy Briefings
- ASTHO Policy Brief on PDMP best practices
- A summary of eight key PDMP best practices and their rationales
COE Presentations on Best Practices
- Best Practices for Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs, Grant Carrow, for Federation of State Medical Boards, Denver, CO, April 25, 2014
- Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Best and Promising Practices and Their Implications for Pharmacists, Peter Kreiner, for Elsevier Seminar Series, March 4, 2014
- Utilizing a Prescription Monitoring Program for Tracking and Monitoring Massachusetts Best Practices Work Group, John Eadie, November 8, 2013
- Prevention: BSAS Grantees for Partnerships for Success; How PDMP Data Might be Useful for Assessment and Evaluation, Massachusetts Best Practices Work Group, Peter Kreiner, PhD., PDMP Center of Excellence at Brandeis University, October 9, 2013
- A New Generation of Prescription Monitoring Programs: Best & Promising Practices, John L. Eadie, National PDMP Meeting, Washington, DC, September 25, 2013
- A New Generation of Prescription Monitoring Programs: Some Key Best Practices, Workers’ Compensation Committee, American Insurance Association, Washington, DC, September 24, 2013
- Best Practices: Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs, Tracking, exposing prescription drug abuse in your state, Association of Health Care Journalists, Boston, MA, March 15, 2013
- A New Generation of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs: Kentucky is Adopting Best Practices, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, January 24, 2013